[MlMt] Notes on latest test release and Gmail OAuth application verification

Thu May 2 06:16:43 EDT 2019

On 1 May 2019, at 0:42, Annamarie Pluhar wrote:

> As a non-geek (and a grateful MM user!) what I think I’m
> understanding is that google might require some type of pricey audit
> that Benny can’t afford out of his own pocket. Is that right?

Well, this is still not quite clear to me. I'm mainly writing about it
on the mailing list as a very early warning of a possible future problem
if I cannot complete the verification process. It might be premature and
there might not be a problem at all, but I have to somehow complete the
verification process.

> If that’s true perhaps all of us users could contribute to a
> crowd-sourced fund to pay for same. ??

It's possible that MailMate cannot survive without Gmail-users, but
crowd funding an audit is not the solution. The higher end of an audit
($75000) is far more than I currently make in a year and I assume
security audits would be needed again for future releases of MailMate.
And in theory, other companies might follow the example of Google and
then an audit might be needed for Apple, Microsoft, Yahoo, etc.
(Currently, OAuth2 is only used for Outlook and Gmail.)

For now, I'm assuming the problem will go away when I figure out how to
complete the verification process without an audit.

> Before we jump to that - does someone understand why Google might want
> this audit? I don’t know how many users there are but perhaps google
> could not require the audit? What does it do?

I think it's all about protecting user data. A security assessment would
likely focus on any data stored/cached on remote servers. MailMate is a
Desktop email application which only uses a local cache, but one could
argue that moving emails to a different account (or even forwarding
emails) gives MailMate “the ability to send Google user data from a
Restricted Scope to remote servers” and then MailMate is a candidate
for a “security assessment”. But I *think* this only makes sense if
MailMate (Freron Software) stored anything on its own servers which I
naturally do not do.

Part of the problem is perhaps that the OAuth authentication flow is
“too easy”, that is, evil (web)apps can easily ask for user
permission to, e.g, access emails and if the user clicks Ok then that
application can “quietly” fetch everything. Given that the user
explicitly fetches MailMate to handle email then that doesn't really
apply in my case.

I don't really think that MailMate is the target of what Google is
trying to stop, but that doesn't solve the problem of me being stuck in
the verification process.

The best protection provided is that Apple ensures that only releases
created by me (with my secret developer certificate) will run on macOS
without warnings. Something similar does not exist for OAuth. Anyone can
create an application with a different developer certificate and then
(mis-)use my verified Google OAuth registration -- including if I had to
go through a security assessment to get it.

I'm just thinking out loud here. Given that MailMate is a single-person
business, consider the above what I would be discussing with colleagues
at the coffee machine in the company office :-)