[MlMt] Notes on latest test release and Gmail OAuth application verification

Steven M. Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Thu May 2 09:01:58 EDT 2019

On 2 May 2019, at 5:19, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 30 Apr 2019, at 18:24, Dave C wrote:
>
>> Re WKWebView, can the new features be selectively enabled? For
>> example, I am locked (because some apps are locked to it) to MacOS
>> 10.12 right now. Can image blocking be not enabled and MM still use
>> WK except for that feature such that it will work in 19.12?
>
> I don't like the idea of disabling image blocking, but the changes
> needed for WKWebView might be too much of a hassle to keep the WebView
> solution for earlier macOS releases. In that case, disabling image
> blocking for earlier releases might be a solution. Alternatively, I
> can possibly still block things using different methods.

Being able to block images by default is an absolute requirement for me
and I suspect for others.
It's not just a huge privacy issue, it's an important part of anti-spam
defenses: spammers (and other
marketers) monitor remote image loading to see if the message was read.

Now, if it's only for older releases of MacOS I don't care, since all of
my systems run 10.14 Mojave.
But there are other people who share my concerns who do run older
releases, often because their
hardware is too old for Mojave.