[MlMt] Suggested way to quickly find all messages to and from given email adress?

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Sun Jul 14 17:44:45 EDT 2019

On 14 Jul 2019, at 13:53, Carl Wernhoff wrote:

> This is a very typical and common task for me. In order to take som
> action, I need to see all meassages, in and out, involving a specific
> email address or (also common) a specific domain.
>
> I haven't so far found a quick and easy way to do this.
>
> There is no search modifier for "correspondent" - using modifiers
> would lead to the cumbersome "t a at b.com OR f a at b.com". A modifier "c"
> or similar, meaning "any address", would solve the problem. As far as
> I have understood, there is no way for the user to customize the
> default (and quiet few) search modifiers.

The single-letter modifiers are static, but you can use any header or
MM-generated pseudo-header in the search field. So "#any-address:
example.com" will find any mail you've exchanged with anyone in
example.com.

Another option: quit MM, open Terminal, and enter this command:

    defaults write com.freron.MailMate  MmDefaultSearchScope
'#any-address'

Then when you launch MM, the default search from the search box will be
what MM refers to as "Any Address" which I believe includes all of the
standard address-list headers.

I prefer this:

    defaults write com.freron.MailMate  MmDefaultSearchScope
'#commonplus'

That's the "Common Headers or Text" specifier, which means you'll also
find mentions of the domain in the body of messages.

Finally, you could modify the default behavior of the "Search" toolbar
button instead. Click that and you get a search bar where you can set up
any sort of search you like, e.g. "Any Address contains" with an empty
search value. To make that search the default, use the menu command
Edit->Find->Use As Default Search. The next time you click the Search
toolbar button, the search bar will come up with the search you set.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org