[MlMt] Too many bounces?

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Mon Jan 28 13:09:44 EST 2019

On 28 Jan 2019, at 3:35, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

[...]
> I'm now at the point where I would automatically become suspicious if
> anyone (any webpage) seems to claim to fully understand the
> consequences of any kind of setup/setting related to this :-)

There are definitely some people (maybe dozens) with very deep
understandings of DMARC and the consequences of all of its options, but
they know better than to think there's a universal right way to deploy
it trhat can be boiled down to a web page. I'm not one of those people
but I know a few of them, and none are fond of general p=reject use,
especially for domains used to provide mass-market retail/free
mailboxes. Everyone who participated significantly in the DMARC
definition process knew that all existing discussion group mailing lists
operating across independent domains would be damaged by unwise use of
p=reject. I'm pretty sure that some people see that as a feature, either
because traditional mailing list behavior is inherently problematic and
needs an incentive to change OR because they see an opportunity to
advantage their own captive discussion groups. It's not accidental that
the first significant mailbox provider to use p=reject was Yahoo.

The only real fix for mailing lists is to munge From headers, at least
for list members who have p=reject domains. Disabling bounce processing
is an unsustainable option and banning users in p=reject domains is
impractical.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org