[MlMt] Sign by default Based on history not working?

Fri Jan 11 09:19:05 EST 2019

On 19 Dec 2018, at 6:17, Eric Sharakan wrote:

> Running r5579, I'm finding MM is not making correct decisions on
> whether to sign my emails or not.  I have 5 accounts, two with S/MIME
> signing certs and three without.  It used to be that setting Sign by
> default to "Based on history", mails I compose on the two accounts
> with email signing certs would be signed and mail from others accounts
> would not.

I don't think I've changed anything. “Based on History” looks at the
latest email sent to the same recipient. There's currently no fallback
for this.

Well, maybe the bug is that this is no longer updated when changing the
recipient (after re-implementing the composer status bar). I'll note to
check that.

> Now it seems to simply remember whether I signed the last message or
> not and repeat that, so as I switch accounts it's often making the
> wrong decision.  And if I set it to "Always", it throws an error when
> I try to send from an account with no cert.
>
> I guess what I want is a "Based on existence of valid cert" setting.
> :-)

Something like that could be implemented, but I would have to be
careful. If there is some problem with a previously used certificate (or
it disappeared) then MailMate shouldn't suddenly stop
signing/encrypting. The same goes for any similar feature based on the
existence of a certificate for the recipient. This doesn't mean that I
don't think it should be more flexible. It's just not a quick fix to do
it right.