[MlMt] Sign by default Based on history not working?

Eric Sharakan esharakan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 10:34:34 EST 2019

On 11 Jan 2019, at 9:19, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 19 Dec 2018, at 6:17, Eric Sharakan wrote:
>
>> Running r5579, I'm finding MM is not making correct decisions on
>> whether to sign my emails or not.  I have 5 accounts, two with S/MIME
>> signing certs and three without.  It used to be that setting Sign by
>> default to "Based on history", mails I compose on the two accounts
>> with email signing certs would be signed and mail from others
>> accounts would not.
>
> I don't think I've changed anything. “Based on History” looks at
> the latest email sent to the same recipient. There's currently no
> fallback for this.

Hmm, basing the heuristic on a specific recipient seems more useful for
the 'encrypt' setting (where I need to have their public key) than for
the 'sign' setting.  Why wouldn't I want to sign all my messages for an
account where I have a signing cert?

> Well, maybe the bug is that this is no longer updated when changing
> the recipient (after re-implementing the composer status bar). I'll
> note to check that.
>
>> Now it seems to simply remember whether I signed the last message or
>> not and repeat that, so as I switch accounts it's often making the
>> wrong decision.  And if I set it to "Always", it throws an error when
>> I try to send from an account with no cert.
>>
>> I guess what I want is a "Based on existence of valid cert" setting.
>> :-)
>
> Something like that could be implemented, but I would have to be
> careful. If there is some problem with a previously used certificate
> (or it disappeared) then MailMate shouldn't suddenly stop
> signing/encrypting. The same goes for any similar feature based on the
> existence of a certificate for the recipient. This doesn't mean that I
> don't think it should be more flexible. It's just not a quick fix to
> do it right.

Welcome back.

Perhaps another approach would be to make the sign settings be per
account (or have an option under "Sign by default" of "Based on
account"?  I work in a company of over 100,000 employees, and I want
mail I send on my work account to any of them to be signed.  Conversely,
I have no signing cert for my gmail account, so I never want MM to try
to sign those messages.

Thanks.

-Eric