[MlMt] Purge cache?

Randall Gellens mailmate at randy.pensive.org
Wed Jan 9 14:59:36 EST 2019

On 8 Jan 2019, at 20:34, Bill Cole wrote:

> On 8 Jan 2019, at 19:33, Randall Gellens wrote:
>
>> How do I force MailMate to purge cache and refresh a mailbox?
>
> Short answer: see the "Rebuild Database" page in the MailMate Help,
> specifically the section on manually resetting the database. This
> procedure will give you the option of rebuilding from cached local
> messages or re-downloading, and you want the latter. It works for the
> whole database, not just one account or mailbox. It is not fast.

I really didn't want to rebuild everything as that would take forever.
I only wanted to rebuild the one mailbox.

> Another tactic that I've had success with when MM seems to disagree
> with the server on mailbox state is to use the "Edit IMAP Account..."
> function in MM to unsubscribe the mailbox, restart MM, and
> re-subscribe the mailbox. This is a "wave the dead chicken" method,
> but it has worked for me.

I just left MM running while I was doing other things, and when I came
back several hours later, MM had resynchronized.  I have no idea what
caused it to realize it needed to do so but am glad it did.

>> I'm not sure how, but all my mail from the beginning of using MM
>> until mid-December got permanently deleted, so I restored my IMAP
>> server Inbox from a backup as a new mailbox.  Mailmate sees it but
>> insists it is empty.  I can telnet to the IMAP server and SELECT it
>> and I see thousands of messages.  I'd like to force Mailmate to
>> refresh its cache.
>
> Is it possible that all of those messages got flagged on the server as
> deleted? You can make MM display   messages marked as deleted in the
> 'Delete Behavior' panel of the Viewer pane in Preferences.

No, they were gone.  I used telnet to connect to the IMAP port on the
server and confirmed that the mailbox had far fewer messages than it
should have.  I assume there was a problem with my auto-expunge system,
but I am mystified as to what happened or how.  I have a virtual mailbox
with the "Mailboxes" section set to only the "Deleted Messages" and
"Junk" mailboxes of the account, and a "Conditions" set to "Received
date" "is not within last" "9 months" and the "Rules" section set to
"Delete Permanently."  I do not see how it could possibly have affected
messages that were in the Inbox, since it is set to only include
deleted/junk messages, and I don't see how it could have deleted
everything up to a few weeks ago.  I've disabled the rule.