[MlMt] More MailMate woes

Randall Meadows randy.meadows at not-pc.com
Fri Sep 21 09:40:42 EDT 2018

On 21 Sep 2018, at 2:31, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 20 Sep 2018, at 22:36, Randall Meadows wrote:
>
>> The values varied, of course, but the one constant was, every message
>> that had a non-zero X-VR-SCORE (which was most of them, like 90+%)
>> was moved to the spam mailbox.  Now, after disabling the drone, I'm
>> getting all the messages filtered (locally) into the correct
>> mailboxes, but still all those non-zero scored messages have the
>> yellow header with
>> buttons.
>>
>> I can only assume that MailMate is heeding these X-VR-* headers and
>> considering every message with a non-zero score as "spammy", yielding
>> the yellow banner and buttons.  Is this correct?
>
> No, MailMate isn't really telling you that it thinks the email is
> junk. It is telling you that the email contains external references
> (most likely to images). This is the image blocking feature configured
> in the Security preferences pane. This is about email tracking which
> is not only done by spammers. Nevertheless, a feature of this system
> is that MailMate can be told to fetch images if the email has been
> explicitly marked as “Not Junk”. In other words, an email has 3
> junk-related states: Unknown, Junk, Not Junk.
>
>> If so...has there been a recent change in MM that might affect this?
>
> No, I don't think so.
>
>> (I can't recall when I last updated, but this issue "coincidentally"
>> started after my aforementioned SpamSieve drone problem, but since
>> I've now eliminated SpamSieve from the equation, now I I'm sure what
>> to think.
>>
>> I'm about to completely nuke my MM installation and start from
>> scratch, just in case I've mucked up something unbeknownst to me, so
>> if anyone has ideas that can save me from that pain, I'd appreciate
>> it!
>
> Don't do that. As far as I can tell the main problem is DreamHost
> spam-filtering and maybe your image blocking settings in the Security
> preferences pane (maybe you had this disabled in the past).

OK, I can live with the errant few messages going to my Spam mailbox; I
can deal with that.  But the yellow banner thing is REALLY annoying me.
I really don't think I've changed anything in my MM settings recently,
but regardless, I can't now find a permutation of the settings that gets
me back to the behavior I had just a few days ago, which was that most
messages did NOT have this banner, their content was fully loaded and
displayed.  Now, I have to click on "Mark as Not Junk" for nearly EVERY
message, including those types of messages and from senders that I've
been receiving from for YEARS and did not have to do this.