[MlMt] More MailMate woes

Fri Sep 21 04:31:59 EDT 2018

On 20 Sep 2018, at 22:36, Randall Meadows wrote:

> Said SpamSieve drone was a completely new installation, so I don't
> think it has anything to do with "leftover" data.  But what was
> happening was, just about all messages were ending up in my Spam
> mailbox, even messages I get regularly from senders that I've been
> getting for years with no problem.
>
> I investigated further today, and every messages in the Spam mailbox
> had these headers (inserted by DreamHost's anti-spam service, which I
> am unable to disable):

It sounds like the most likely explanation for emails being moved to
spam is DreamHost:
https://discussion.dreamhost.com/t/how-do-i-disable-the-anti-spam-filter/63746/32

MailMate does not use these headers for anything. But you could use them
in rules if you like, e.g., to do something like this:

	Condition: X-VR-Status is “Whitelisted”
	Action: Set Keyword “Not Junk”

See further below for why that might be useful. For the record, I have
no idea how to get something on the whitelist on DreamHost.

The headers above are described by DreamHost
[here](https://help.dreamhost.com/hc/en-us/articles/215686647-Technical-details-on-how-Anti-spam-filters-work).

> The values varied, of course, but the one constant was, every message
> that had a non-zero X-VR-SCORE (which was most of them, like 90+%) was
> moved to the spam mailbox.  Now, after disabling the drone, I'm
> getting all the messages filtered (locally) into the correct
> mailboxes, but still all those non-zero scored messages have the
> yellow header with
> buttons.
>
> I can only assume that MailMate is heeding these X-VR-* headers and
> considering every message with a non-zero score as "spammy", yielding
> the yellow banner and buttons.  Is this correct?

No, MailMate isn't really telling you that it thinks the email is junk.
It is telling you that the email contains external references (most
likely to images). This is the image blocking feature configured in the
Security preferences pane. This is about email tracking which is not
only done by spammers. Nevertheless, a feature of this system is that
MailMate can be told to fetch images if the email has been explicitly
marked as “Not Junk”. In other words, an email has 3 junk-related
states: Unknown, Junk, Not Junk.

> If so...has there been a recent change in MM that might affect this?

No, I don't think so.

> (I can't recall when I last updated, but this issue "coincidentally"
> started after my aforementioned SpamSieve drone problem, but since
> I've now eliminated SpamSieve from the equation, now I I'm sure what
> to think.
>
> I'm about to completely nuke my MM installation and start from
> scratch, just in case I've mucked up something unbeknownst to me, so
> if anyone has ideas that can save me from that pain, I'd appreciate
> it!

Don't do that. As far as I can tell the main problem is DreamHost
spam-filtering and maybe your image blocking settings in the Security
preferences pane (maybe you had this disabled in the past).

I hope this helps.