[MlMt] expiring deleted and sent

Wed Oct 24 07:36:25 EDT 2018

On 11 Oct 2018, at 0:37, Robert Brenstein wrote:

> Oh, I somehow missed your adding that option. I just checked and see
> it, although some explanation is needed. If I have a mailbox with the
> condition “date-received is not within last 12 months” what does
> the option “limit at start of the month” exactly do? At first
> reading, it sounds like it will check only once a month.

It'll round of to the beginning of a month. “within 1 month” would
be October 1st. “within 2 months” would be September 1st.

> If that is correct, that would be too seldom. I delete like 200 to 500
> emails a day, so the deletion queue would accumulate quite a bit over
> the month, way beyond what I can inspect optically (occasionally, I
> archive some mails after all).

Using 365 days instead of 12 months would round it to the beginning of a
day instead.

> My suggestion would be to offer further options: once a month, once a
> week, once a day if counting months, once a week, once a day if
> counting weeks, etc. However, the most optimal, at least for me, would
> be if I could specify the time of the day for the check to execute,

This is not really how it works. It is not a set of check times. It's a
condition on the date being greater or lower than some specific value. A
given message either matches the condition or it doesn't. It becomes
part of the set exactly when it matches the condition.

> regardless whether I count days, weeks or months. I am guessing that
> you probably wouldn’t have to change much the actual execution for
> that option, just add the interface to set it. Well, you could simply
> add further options to that popup, like daily at 1am, daily at 7am,
> daily at 1pm, daily at 7pm. Yeah, 4 options for time would do, me
> thinks.

Until someone comes along saying that 2pm is much better than 1pm.

I guess this would kind of be like using “not within past 6 hours”
but limited to the start of every 6 hours. This is hard to
communicate/understand and probably not very useful in general.

Maybe it's better done using a global setting which forces all
date-based conditions (except hours/minutes) to only update at specific
times of the day. Technically, I think this is a bit tricky to get right
though...