[MlMt] Probable New User with POP Question

Fri Nov 23 09:00:57 EST 2018

On 23 Nov 2018, at 9:04, Jan Erik Moström wrote:

> On 23 Nov 2018, at 8:51, Jack Stewart wrote:
>
>> I'm liking most of what I have read about Mailmate and want to use it
>> but I am completely inexperienced with IMAP, have no good friends who
>> use it, and am wondering:
>>     1) What transition problems from POP to IMAP will I encounter?
>
> Since you have used POP I assume that you have your emails stored
> locally, IMAP (usually) stores your messages on the server. So you
> will probably have to export your emails from your POP client to mbox
> files and then import them into MailMate. If the messages imported are
> stored on the server (if you use MailMate they are unless you install
> a mail server locally on you Mac) then you need to have the storage on
> your server to do this.

Alternatively, if your current email client supports IMAP then the
safest migration path is to add an IMAP account to this client and then
move your mailboxes into this account. This should make the email client
upload them to the server making it easy for MailMate (or any other IMAP
email client) to download them.

I would just do it with a few mailboxes at first to make sure it works
as expected. If you rely on read-state or maybe flags then migrating via
IMAP would likely keep this metadata. That won't happen with the mbox
file.