[MlMt] Probable New User with POP Question

Jan Erik Moström lists at mostrom.pp.se
Fri Nov 23 03:04:42 EST 2018

On 23 Nov 2018, at 8:51, Jack Stewart wrote:

> I'm liking most of what I have read about Mailmate and want to use it
> but I am completely inexperienced with IMAP, have no good friends who
> use it, and am wondering:
>     1) What transition problems from POP to IMAP will I encounter?

Since you have used POP I assume that you have your emails stored
locally, IMAP (usually) stores your messages on the server. So you will
probably have to export your emails from your POP client to mbox files
and then import them into MailMate. If the messages imported are stored
on the server (if you use MailMate they are unless you install a mail
server locally on you Mac) then you need to have the storage on your
server to do this.

>     2) What is not to like about IMAP compared to POP?

Probably several things but there are also things to like (simple
migration between clients for example).

> (e.g. Will I be able to easily retain my existing 500 mailboxes with
> their present contents?)

If they live locally (unless you have set some "leave on server" flag in
your mail client) you probably need to do some manual work.

= jem