[MlMt] Probable New User with POP Question

Randall Gellens mailmate at randy.pensive.org
Fri Nov 23 17:48:57 EST 2018

On 22 Nov 2018, at 23:51, Jack Stewart wrote:

> I have been using email for many, many years but always with the same
> client app which only handles POP - no IMAP capability. I have about
> 100,000 emails archived over the years in 6 different POP email
> accounts and 500 mail boxes, which I want to retain. The accounts can
> be changed from POP to IMAP.

First off, I assume your email provider supports IMAP, or if not, you
plan to start using an email provider that does.

Second, which client have you been using?  Many clients have IMAP
oddness that means, e.g., uploading your existing mailboxes and messages
to IMAP might not work well using that client.  Different email clients
store email locally in sometimes very different ways, and that, too, can
make a difference in how to export your existing email.

>     1) What transition problems from POP to IMAP will I encounter?

The biggest issue is the mechanism to move your mailboxes and messages
from your local storage to tour IMAP accounts at an email provider.  The
second biggest issue is if and how attachments and message state (such
as if a message has been read, replied to, forwarded, etc.) are
maintained.

--Randall