[MlMt] Search across lines in compose view

Philip Paeps philip at trouble.is
Thu Nov 22 17:03:23 EST 2018

On 2018-11-22 05:47:12 (+0100), Alex Abdo wrote:
> I’m wondering if there’s a way to search across lines in the
> compose view. Specifically, does the search interface have a way of
> searching for a newline (or carriage return?) character?

You can do the usual ⌘F to bring up the standard fruity search box.  I
don't now if you can search for things like newlines in there though.
On cursory inspection, it seems not.

> The reason I’m trying to do this is somewhat arcane. I’ve noticed
> that MailMate seems to increase the number of line breaks between
> paragraphs in forwarded or replied-to emails. When I’m inserting
> distracting, and so I was going to explore using a simple
> search-and-replace to reduce the number of extra line breaks between
> paragraphs. But that requires being able to search for consecutive
> line breaks—e.g., “>\n>”.
>
> Is that possible? Or, even better, is there a way of changing the
> underlying behavior of MailMate adding extra line breaks in forwarded
> or replied-to emails? Or maybe I’m doing something wrong that’s
> causing those extra line breaks to appear?

I would just use an external editor from a  bundle.  I use MacVim.

As far as I can tell, MailMate leaves the buffer alone after the
external editor gives it back.

Philip

--
Philip Paeps