[MlMt] Search across lines in compose view

Alex Abdo alex at alexabdo.com
Wed Nov 21 23:47:12 EST 2018

Hi all,

I’m wondering if there’s a way to search across lines in the compose
view. Specifically, does the search interface have a way of searching
for a newline (or carriage return?) character?

The reason I’m trying to do this is somewhat arcane. I’ve noticed
that MailMate seems to increase the number of line breaks between
paragraphs in forwarded or replied-to emails. When I’m inserting
distracting, and so I was going to explore using a simple
search-and-replace to reduce the number of extra line breaks between
paragraphs. But that requires being able to search for consecutive line
breaks—e.g., “>\n>”.

Is that possible? Or, even better, is there a way of changing the
underlying behavior of MailMate adding extra line breaks in forwarded or
replied-to emails? Or maybe I’m doing something wrong that’s causing
those extra line breaks to appear?

Thanks!
Alex

My system: MailMate/5552 MacBookPro15,1/x86_64/12/10.14.1