[MlMt] Search across lines in compose view

Fri Nov 23 08:47:50 EST 2018

On 22 Nov 2018, at 5:47, Alex Abdo wrote:

> I’m wondering if there’s a way to search across lines in the
> compose view. Specifically, does the search interface have a way of
> searching for a newline (or carriage return?) character?

It's a standard window provided by Apple. You can use option+return to
insert an “invisible” line-feed.

> The reason I’m trying to do this is somewhat arcane. I’ve noticed
> that MailMate seems to increase the number of line breaks between
> paragraphs in forwarded or replied-to emails. When I’m inserting
> distracting, and so I was going to explore using a simple
> search-and-replace to reduce the number of extra line breaks between
> paragraphs. But that requires being able to search for consecutive
> line breaks—e.g., “>\n>”.

Sounds like there might be a bug we should look into, but let's do that
off list (Help ▸ Send Feedback). I'll need an example messages
(drag'n'drop it into the message) and a series of steps to reproduce.

> Is that possible? Or, even better, is there a way of changing the
> underlying behavior of MailMate adding extra line breaks in forwarded
> or replied-to emails? Or maybe I’m doing something wrong that’s
> causing those extra line breaks to appear?

I don't think you could be doing anything wrong, but maybe there's some
issue with MailMate and the other email client used in the
correspondence.