[MlMt] search not looking at content of forwarded messages?

Mon Mar 19 06:05:16 EDT 2018

On 14 Mar 2018, at 23:13, Eric Sharakan wrote:

> My embedding settings are:
>
> - Replying/Forwarding HTML:: Embed when needed

This means that whenever MailMate determines that it cannot safely
convert the HTML of the replied/forwarded text into plain text (or
Markdown) then it just embeds the HTML of the replied/forwarded message
within its own generated HTML.

> - Embedding method: Inline CSS (with Premailer)

This means that MailMate sends the embedded HTML to Premailer such that
any styling is only done inline. This prevents issues with the embedded
HTML affecting the HTML generated by MailMate. (HTML was not designed to
be easily embedded.)

> Would these setting explain why I can't search the content of
> forwarded messages in my Sent Message mailbox?  And can you explain
> those two settings a bit?  I'm scratching my head over them.

Maybe. The embedded HTML is also converted to plain text (or the
original plain text alternative is used) since MailMate still needs to
generate a plain text body part. If this plain text does not contain
your search terms then the message is not going to be found. I guess
that this might actually make indexing more likely to fail than if using
“Message ▸ Forward as Attachment”, because embedding doesn't have
the same “logic” for determining if the plain text part is a proper
alternative to the HTML. (I might have forgotten some implementation
details here...)

The best way to help me debug is to provide me with a message which you
cannot find after forwarding. If I can reproduce it then I can look into
why it happens.