[MlMt] How to edit recipients

Wed Mar 14 10:15:38 EDT 2018

On 9 Mar 2018, at 20:30, Randall Gellens wrote:

>> My thinking here is still that if your correspondent likes to send
>> out emails with “Last, First” then they likely also prefer to
>> receive them like that. I would certainly dislike if my
>> correspondents changed the formatting of my name.
>
> I’m not aware of anyone anywhere who has ever deliberately
> configured their mail name to be quote-last-comma-first-quote.  I am
> aware of many cases where companies force it or force clients that do
> it.

In my experience, whenever some wide-spread email client enforces some
“feature” then its users will eventually expect any email client to
behave the same way. A lot of my feedback is of the nature: “I'm used
to my email client doing X, why doesn't MailMate do the same?” :-)

In any case, thinking about this some more I'm convinced that my
position on this subject is that MailMate should never change the name
ordering in outgoing messages. Whatever is received is also what should
go out. If a correspondent dislikes the ordering then they should fix it
at their end.

But this doesn't rule out that MailMate re-orders names when displaying
emails such that MailMate users (almost) never have to see the
last-comma-first format if they don't want to. I'll think about how this
could be supported in a simpler way than what I previously described.

> What’s the no-spoof feature?

It's a simple attempt to make email spoofing a bit less likely to
succeed (it's far from perfect). Read about it
[here](https://blog.freron.com/2017/email-spoofing/).