[MlMt] How to edit recipients

Randall Gellens mailmate at randy.pensive.org
Fri Mar 9 14:30:38 EST 2018

On 9 Mar 2018, at 1:22, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

>>> I wouldn't be comfortable with that unless the user has verified it,
>>> e.g., by adding the correspondent to the address book (Contacts).
>>
>> I think if the modified name was the result of a user-set regex, and
>> showed in the composition window for replies, then perhaps a way to
>> visually indicate in the composition window that the name was
>> modified with a way to revert, would be more than sufficient.
>
> That's certainly implementable, but (to be honest) I don't think you
> should expect that any time soon.

Well, it’s not the most urgent feature for me, either.  The “Filter
Results” summary would be more immediately helpful day-to-day.

> My thinking here is still that if your correspondent likes to send out
> emails with “Last, First” then they likely also prefer to receive
> them like that. I would certainly dislike if my correspondents changed
> the formatting of my name.

I’m not aware of anyone anywhere who has ever deliberately configured
their mail name to be quote-last-comma-first-quote.  I am aware of many
cases where companies force it or force clients that do it.

> Note that MailMate *does* replace your own name with what you have
> configured when receiving emails and replying to them.
>
>>> That's kind of how it already works. It's low-level though, both how
>>> to redefine a message list column and how to change the regex for
>>> finding first/last name. Would you like me to describe how this is
>>> done? (You might prefer to just hope that it'll be easier to
>>> customize some day.)
>>
>> It’s not just the column display in the mailbox, but also the
>> message display when viewing a message.  But, yes, if that can be
>> modified, that would be helpful.
>
> Let's take the columns first to see if it works as you would expect it
> to. The attached file is going to crash MailMate until after the next
> update (r5462+). I had to fix a minor issue to make the no-spoof
> feature work with the re-ordering of first and last name.

What’s the no-spoof feature?