[MlMt] Sending delay... (~humor, not a MM issue)

Randall Gellens mailmate at randy.pensive.org
Sun Feb 25 06:08:51 EST 2018

On 24 Feb 2018, at 12:18, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 24 Feb 2018, at 20:40, Edward Thome wrote:
>
>> When I want to make sure that I don’t accidentally send something I
>> set a long sending delay, changing my default of ‘5 minutes’ to 5
>> ‘years’.  MailMate accepts ‘5 years’, but can you believe
>> that it does not recognize ‘5 decades’!
>
> It'll work in the next update (quick fix) - just in case ;-)
>
>> I apologize for the non-serious email…the flexibility of MailMate
>> never ceases to astound me, in this case that it actually accepts
>> years, months, weeks, days, hours, minutes, min, seconds, sec …so I
>> decided to pretend to take umbrage at the fact that it does not
>> recognize ‘decades’.
>
> I should note that the feature is not as robust as it should be. The
> send later “value” does not survive if the local database index is
> lost. In other words, the email I scheduled to be sent to myself in 10
> years (as a test) is unlikely to ever actually be sent. It would be
> surprisingly tricky to make the feature robust without introducing the
> risk of sending a message multiple times (not a quick fix).

Two question about the Send-Later feature:

- Does it support the Message Submission FUTURERELEASE extension (RFC
4865) if the message is being sent via a server that supports it?  The
extension allows the client to ask the Submit server to hold the message
until a specified point in the future.  It avoids the fragility of the
feature being tied to the MailMate local database, and is also more
accurate in that, in general, servers are more likely to be connected at
the specified future time than a client (which might be running on a
laptop that is shut off or has no connectivity).  I don’t know which
servers support FUTURERELEASE (RFC 4865), so I don’t know how useful
it would be.  Oracle seems to have support, but I don’t think iCloud
has enabled it; I don’t see it mentioned for Postfix or Sendmail.

- I haven’t played with it much, but I did set a message to be sent at
a specific time “tomorrow” which was accepted, but when I happened
to check a few hours past that time, with MailMate running and
connected, it still showed as “tomorrow” even though it was now what
was “tomorrow” when I set it.  I simply sent the message
immediately, instead of playing with it to see if “tomorrow” would
never resolve to “today” but was forever in the future.

—Randall