[MlMt] newbie

Thomas Eckhold Thomas at Eckhold.eu
Tue Feb 20 02:57:43 EST 2018

Basic approach:

If your email provider allows you to create as many mailboxes (folders)
as you need on his mailserver, you can use MailMate as you have used
Apple Mail in the past. Instead of smart mailboxes just create (normal)
mailboxes (= New IMAP Mailbox) on the sever. In such a mailbox you may
create sub-mailboxes (sub-folders) as well. Note that these mailboxes
are stored on the server and MailMate creates a copy on your local
system (for off-line access – you can find the copies in the
Application Support folder of your library on your Mac).

The easiest way to move messages from the inbox to another mailbox
(folder) is to use the „Move to Mailbox“ shortcut (by default
CMD-ALT-T – alternatively you can select the command in the Message
menu in the menu bar). The appearing window allows you to select a
mailbox [folder] by typing its name. Of course, you can drag and drop
the message via the mouse into the folder, too. The shortcut works for a
bunch of selected messages as well so that you can move many messages in
one step.

More advanced approach:

- move messages by rules
- use smart mailboxes sorted by tags; tag messages in the inbox (tags
could be „2018 folder A“ for example); move messages (after tagging)
into the archive (SHIFT-CMD-M) to keep your inbox uncluttered

Hope that helps a bit

Thomas