[MlMt] Account addresses and address [atterns

Randall Gellens mailmate at randy.pensive.org
Sat Feb 10 21:48:49 EST 2018

--Randall

On 10 Feb 2018, at 12:22, Bill Cole wrote:

> On 10 Feb 2018, at 4:15 (-0500), Randall Gellens wrote:
>
>> I have both a list of frequently-used addresses and an address patter
>> in the form “*@foo\.examle\.org | *@bar\.example\.org” set for
>> several accounts.  Yet most replies have the wrong default address.
>> As a test, I tried deleting the list of explicit addresses, and
>> deleted the spaces around the pipe in the address pattern, but to no
>> avail
>
> Those are both flawed. The pattern must be a regular expression, in
> which a leading '*' isn't meaningful, since it means 'zero or more of
> the prior character.' Also, spaces ARE meaningful in regular
> expressions, so you shouldn't have any in a pattern for an email
> address.

Thanks.  In the help pages, it _looks_ (at least to me) like there are
spaces around the pipes.  Thanks for reminding me that :*: needs
something in front.

>> 1: Is it correct to set both a list of explicit addresses and an
>> address pattern for an account?
>
> Sure. The addresses mentioned in my signature AND OTHERS are matched
> by my combination of a list and a pattern.

Thanks.

>> 2: Is it correct to have spaces around the pipe in the address
>> pattern?
>
> No. I suppose it is possible that Benny cleans up the input to remove
> all spaces not inside double-quotes (address syntax has weird edge
> cases...) but I doubt that. A major advantage to using regular
> expressions instead of a simpler pattern syntax is that thee is a lot
> of mature free code
>
>> 3: Is it correct to have a space after the comma in the explicit
>> address list?
>
> Works for me. I don't know if it is required.
>
>> 4: Is the default reply address determined on message reception or
>> reply generation?
>
> Yes. :)
>
> Benny has explained the heuristics involved in picking a sender here
> before, but I'm almost certain to get it wrong if I try to explain it
> myself.

OK.

Is there a way to associate a default reply address with an address
pattern or set of domains?

>> 5: is a pattern of the form “*@domain” acceptable?
>
> No, but '.*@domain' is. '*' always has to refer to something before
> it.

I must have been thinking shell globing, thank you.