[MlMt] Account addresses and address [atterns

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Sat Feb 10 15:22:26 EST 2018

On 10 Feb 2018, at 4:15 (-0500), Randall Gellens wrote:

> I have both a list of frequently-used addresses and an address patter
> in the form “*@foo\.examle\.org | *@bar\.example\.org” set for
> several accounts.  Yet most replies have the wrong default address.
> As a test, I tried deleting the list of explicit addresses, and
> deleted the spaces around the pipe in the address pattern, but to no
> avail

Those are both flawed. The pattern must be a regular expression, in
which a leading '*' isn't meaningful, since it means 'zero or more of
the prior character.' Also, spaces ARE meaningful in regular
expressions, so you shouldn't have any in a pattern for an email
address.

> 1: Is it correct to set both a list of explicit addresses and an
> address pattern for an account?

Sure. The addresses mentioned in my signature AND OTHERS are matched by
my combination of a list and a pattern.

> 2: Is it correct to have spaces around the pipe in the address
> pattern?

No. I suppose it is possible that Benny cleans up the input to remove
all spaces not inside double-quotes (address syntax has weird edge
cases...) but I doubt that. A major advantage to using regular
expressions instead of a simpler pattern syntax is that thee is a lot of
mature free code

> 3: Is it correct to have a space after the comma in the explicit
> address list?

Works for me. I don't know if it is required.

> 4: Is the default reply address determined on message reception or
> reply generation?

Yes. :)

Benny has explained the heuristics involved in picking a sender here
before, but I'm almost certain to get it wrong if I try to explain it
myself.

No, but '.*@domain' is. '*' always has to refer to something before it.

--
Bill Cole