[MlMt] Account addresses and address [atterns

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Sun Feb 11 16:19:58 EST 2018

On 10 Feb 2018, at 21:48 (-0500), Randall Gellens wrote:

> On 10 Feb 2018, at 12:22, Bill Cole wrote:
>
>> On 10 Feb 2018, at 4:15 (-0500), Randall Gellens wrote:
>>
>>> I have both a list of frequently-used addresses and an address
>>> patter in the form “*@foo\.examle\.org | *@bar\.example\.org”
>>> set for several accounts.  Yet most replies have the wrong default
>>> address.  As a test, I tried deleting the list of explicit
>>> addresses, and deleted the spaces around the pipe in the address
>>> pattern, but to no avail
>>
>> Those are both flawed. The pattern must be a regular expression, in
>> which a leading '*' isn't meaningful, since it means 'zero or more of
>> the prior character.' Also, spaces ARE meaningful in regular
>> expressions, so you shouldn't have any in a pattern for an email
>> address.
>
> Thanks.  In the help pages, it _looks_ (at least to me) like there are
> spaces around the pipes.  Thanks for reminding me that :*: needs
> something in front.

I am very sorry for using Didactic Tech Support Voice with you. I just
realized why your name seemed so familiar: all those email-related RFCs
with "Gellens" at the top of every page. Thank you for all of your
excellent work in improving how email works.

[...]
>>> 4: Is the default reply address determined on message reception or
>>> reply generation?
>>
>> Yes. :)
>>
>> Benny has explained the heuristics involved in picking a sender here
>> before, but I'm almost certain to get it wrong if I try to explain it
>> myself.
>
> OK.
>
> Is there a way to associate a default reply address with an address
> pattern or set of domains?

Not that I'm aware of. I believe the default in a reply to an existing
message is to use the address the original message was sent to, if that
can be determined. I'm pretty sure MM looks for more than just the To:
header, i.e. X-Originally-To, the 'for' clause in a Received header,
etc. For completely new messages my understanding is that MM will use
the contents of the currently selected mailbox to guess the best
address. For example, I an unique address for each list I'm on and I
have an IMAP mailbox for each list I'm on, so when I've got the MailMate
Users list mailbox open and start a new message, it uses the address I
use for this list.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org