[MlMt] Still confused about how Threads work

David Ledger mailmate at ivdcs.co.uk
Thu Apr 19 18:12:58 EDT 2018

On 19 Apr 2018, at 15:34, Eric Sharakan wrote:

> On 19 Apr 2018, at 8:24, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:
>
>> On 17 Apr 2018, at 21:29, Eric Sharakan wrote:
>>
>>> I'm running r5472.  I still think something's not right with how
>>> threads work.  For the inbox of my corporate account, I have
>>> "View->Organize by Thread" selected.  Yet I see messages in the same
>>> thread that are not being grouped together.  If I look at one such
>>> message, and select the "Thread"
>>> toolbar button, then I see the other two messages in the thread, and
>>> can verify by looking at the details of the search that they all
>>> have "Thread-id is 111476".  So why aren't they grouped together in
>>> my regular inbox view?
>>
>> Because MailMate only shows parent-child relationships. It might know
>> that 2 messages belong to the same thread, but if there are any
>> missing links between them in the current mailbox then they are not
>> shown together.
>
> Okay, this explains it.  In these cases, I've either deleted
> unimportant messages in the middle of the thread, or my responses
> (sitting in my Sent folder) make up part of the thread.  For the
> latter case, I've found that if I select both my inbox & sent
> mailboxes, then MM finds the parent-child relationships.
>
>> This is a side effect of the hierarchical strict threading used by
>> MailMate. This is also the main reason that “group threading” has
>> been on my todo forever. Some day...
>
> Please add my vote for this "some day" to be sooner rather than
> later...

And another vote …

I find this a particular problem because I’m on a club committee where
we have a committee@… address that expands at the server to all of us.
The first reply-all goes to the originator as themselves, plus
committee@… which includes the originator. Something seems to limit
this to three copies of every email, but someone’s reply can be from
any of the three. If I delete the ‘wrong’ duplicate I get a gap in
the thread. (Add to this the fact that I have two function based entries
in the committee@… expansion, collected from two different IMAP logins
on the same server, and I soon get confused).

David