[MlMt] Still confused about how Threads work

Eric Sharakan esharakan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 10:34:16 EDT 2018

On 19 Apr 2018, at 8:24, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 17 Apr 2018, at 21:29, Eric Sharakan wrote:
>
>> I'm running r5472.  I still think something's not right with how
>> threads work.  For the inbox of my corporate account, I have
>> "View->Organize by Thread" selected.  Yet I see messages in the same
>> thread that are not being grouped together.  If I look at one such
>> message, and select the "Thread"
>> toolbar button, then I see the other two messages in the thread, and
>> can verify by looking at the details of the search that they all have
>> "Thread-id is 111476".  So why aren't they grouped together in my
>> regular inbox view?
>
> Because MailMate only shows parent-child relationships. It might know
> that 2 messages belong to the same thread, but if there are any
> missing links between them in the current mailbox then they are not
> shown together.

Okay, this explains it.  In these cases, I've either deleted unimportant
messages in the middle of the thread, or my responses (sitting in my
Sent folder) make up part of the thread.  For the latter case, I've
found that if I select both my inbox & sent mailboxes, then MM finds the
parent-child relationships.

> This is a side effect of the hierarchical strict threading used by
> MailMate. This is also the main reason that “group threading” has
> been on my todo forever. Some day...

Please add my vote for this "some day" to be sooner rather than later...

Thanks.

-Eric