[MlMt] Advice for new user

David Green dgreenbhm at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 23:54:54 EDT 2017

On 22 Oct 2017, at 20:52, Robert Goldman wrote:

> I have always kept my correspondence about projects in different
> folders.  These folders include both the messages I have received on
> the topic and also the messages I have sent.  When I used Thunderbird,
> I used to BCC myself and save the messages by hand.  With MailMate,
> the messages go into the Sent Messages folder, and from there I would
> have to process them by hand, which seems undesirable.  What do other
> users do?

When I first started using MailMate, I asked for the BCC feature and it
was implemented.

 From:  https://manual.mailmate-app.com/hidden_preferences#composing

> The following can be used to add a BCC (blind carbon copy) header by
> default to all outgoing messages:

> `defaults write com.freron.MailMate MmDefaultBccHeader -string
> me at example.com`

> Using the special value "<.sender.>" tells MailMate to use the sending
> address of the related account.

After using it a while, I came to realize that Mailmate (as well as
Google and other programs) was now able to display conversation threads
from a variety of different folders and that was sufficient.  The only
time an item won't appear is when the item has been moved to the Deleted
Messages folder.  Mailmate creates this view very quickly so I have
ceased the use of the auto BCC and the filing that follows.  When I was
using the BCC approach, I seem to remember I ran into an issue where if
I deleted the BCC copy of the message, it might also delete the Sent
Messages copy which was initially unexpected.

Dave