[MlMt] RSVP/respond to ical/.ics calendar invite?

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 17:36:48 EDT 2017

/max
http://about.me/maxandersen

On 17 Oct 2017, at 23:18, Giovanni Lanzani wrote:

> On 17 Oct 2017, at 22:34, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:
>
>> On 14 Oct 2017, at 1:26, Jonas Kemper wrote:
>>
>>> Has anybody dealt with this before? My ideal scenario would be
>>> control elements to respond with "yes/no/maybe" in Mailmate whenever
>>> a meeting invite comes in.
>>
>> It seems you got a couple of somewhat promising replies. I cannot
>> offer to look into the RFCs and what exactly needs to be done to make
>> this work, but if someone does this part of the work then I promise
>> to help making it into a bundle including adding any features needed
>> to do that.
>>

> Benny, I'm willing to give it a try. A couple of questions before
> beginning:
>
> - How does the bundle call the script? What kind of information would
> be available and how are they passed? In particular I would need:
>   - the email account this was sent to/the account that received it;
>   - the attachment (i.e. the invite);
>   - the status
>   - optionally a remark.
> - And how does mailmate parse the reply? For example the invite needs
> to be encoded in base64.
> - Is there a preference for programming languages? I'm mostly familiar
> with Python.

ruby is what most command uses but anything default installed on osx is
fine (which python are afaik).

about how commands call things then its fairly simple - the best article
about I know is http://1klb.com/posts/2016/02/26/mailmate-bundles/

but in short using my org-mode bundle as example then you have:

[plist](https://github.com/mailmate/org-mode.mmbundle/blob/master/info.plist)
file to describe the extension - see the link above for how to make that

[mmCommand](https://github.com/mailmate/org-mode.mmbundle/blob/master/Commands/Add%20With%20Summary.mmCommand)
to define the action - here you'll see MM_* env vars being set using
mail mates syntax for accessing elements. That is used to pass content
to the scripts.
Since you need encoded you probably want to use "decoded" for how you
want your input/output.

And then your [actual
script](https://github.com/mailmate/org-mode.mmbundle/blob/master/Support/bin/add)
which will be able to get the various MM_* vars.

> You can all have a look
> [here](https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4823574/sending-meeting-invitations-with-python)
> for a minimal Python implementation.
>
> Replying is much easier though: you just need to change the content of
> one line of the invite (assuming no notes are added).

hope that helps.