[MlMt] Editing previous sent addresses

Vlad Ghitulescu Vlad at Ghitulescu.de
Wed May 3 07:58:40 EDT 2017

On 2 May 2017, at 22:20, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 2 May 2017, at 17:46, Vlad Ghitulescu wrote:

>>> I actually think the opposite is nice, but I also consider IMAP to
>>> be the primary storage of email. I would never remove sent messages.
>>
>> Did I understand you corectly: You say that you would archive
>> everything but the sent messages? Only to get all the previous
>> sender?!
>
> I wouldn't (and I don't) archive any messages. The IMAP server *is*
> the archive. It's similar to having a cloud-based set of folders with
> emails. I'm not doing this to have “previous senders”. I'm doing
> this because this is how IMAP is intended to be used and it works well
> for me. It is, of course, fine to use it in different ways.

I understand.

I don't use the IMAP server as an archive for this 3 reasons:

1. I don't have so much space on my email-account.
2. Archiving email-messages outside the email-client I can rely on
Finder- / Spotlight- / HoudahSpot-search to find anything (including
email-messages). I'm not saying that MailMate is bad on searching - I'm
using it every day for the email-messages I still haven't archived yet.
3. Even after switching to MailMate I still like to believe that every
email-client works faster and need less RAM when having less emails to
deal with. I'm sure you've done and continuously do a lot of work to
make MailMate fast and less RAM-hungry, but still. :-)

(…)

> Note that I don't reject the idea of *also* having an explicit list of
> “previous recipients”. You just shouldn't expect it soon.

That's everything I was hopping for: an "*also*" (was never ever an
"*instead*"!) and the hope! ;-)

Thanks!

Regards,
Vlad