[MlMt] Editing previous sent addresses

Vlad Ghitulescu Vlad at Ghitulescu.de
Tue May 2 11:46:19 EDT 2017

On 2 May 2017, at 9:00, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 29 Apr 2017, at 17:52, Vlad Ghitulescu wrote:
>
>> On 29 Apr 2017, at 13:51, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:
>>
>>> If it's a small set then I would recommend just using Contacts to
>>> keep track of these email addresses.
>>>

>> How exactly do you mean this, Benny?
>>
>> To recap: Wouldn't be nice to open a new email and have a pop-up with
>> the previous used email-adresses *regardless if the email-messages
>> are still in MailMate or not*?
>
> I actually think the opposite is nice, but I also consider IMAP to be
> the primary storage of email. I would never remove sent messages.

Did I understand you corectly: You say that you would archive everything
but the sent messages? Only to get all the previous sender?!

>> How could Contacts be of any help for this?
>
> Email addresses in Contacts are also shown in the email address popup.
> These are shown even if no sent messages exist to the same addresses.

That's correct!

> If MailMate automatically added all recipients of your sent emails to
> Contacts then it would behave like “previous recipients”, but I
> doubt anyone would want that.

Me neither!
But even Mail.app ;-) shows there's a more elegant way to do this by
keeping an internal, editable list of all the sent emails (= a subset of
the Contacts ;-)

I try to summarize:

1. Right now the previous sender come only from the sent messages --> no
sent messages means no previous sender! & there's no way to edit the
previous sender.

2. A separate list of the previous sender (= sender of the previous sent
messages, even if they are not in the sent-messages-mailbox anymore)
would imply a change but will allow both caveats from point 1: the
previous sender stays even if the sent messages are archive AND one
could edit this list!

I'm trying to wet you appetite for point 2 obviously ;-)… but I really
think that is a better idea?