[MlMt] Incorrect name-address combination

Wed Jan 4 15:30:16 EST 2017

On 4 Jan 2017, at 18:29, John Cooper wrote:

> I just sent out an invitation to a small party. I meant it to go to
> First Person <first at example.com>, Second Person <second at example.com.
> Instead, it was sent to First Person <first at example.com>, Second
> Person <otherguy at another.com>. In other words, Second Person didn't
> get my message—a third person did, whose email address was somehow
> associated with Second Person's name after I typed "Sec" in the To
> field and selected Second Person from the list of completions.
>
> Third Person is not yet in my Apple contacts, although Second Person
> is. I just searched all my messages for messages where Third Person is
> on the addressee list, and I couldn't find any other messages, from me
> or from other senders, where Third Person's address is associated with
> Second Person's name. I did find several where Second Person's address
> appeared in full form (Second Person <second at example.com>), and Third
> Person appeared in address-only form (otherguy at another.com) adjacent
> to it.

I think I need to see the raw headers of one of these messages where
both addresses appear (⌥⌘U). Could you send them using “Help ▸
Send Feedback”. You can obfuscate any `a-z` characters if you like.

> Socially, I'm not in a mess, since I like Third Person just fine and
> am happy to have him over. (That was lucky.) Appwise, though, things
> are still confused--whenever I start to type Second Person in the To
> field, one of the completions I'm presented with is the incorrect
> association.

I'm glad it wasn't a major problem and I'm naturally sorry if this was
caused by a MailMate bug. (It would be a serious bug which is also why
I'm answering this email. The rest of the pending emails to the list
will have to wait until tomorrow.)

> - Can I erase this incorrect association somehow? I tried using the
> arrow keys to select it in the completion list and pressed Delete, but
> that had no effect.

That's not possible. The only thing you can do is to move or delete any
emails in “Sent Messages” which triggers MailMate to offer the
erroneous completions, but that requires finding those emails.

> - Should this be considered a bug in MailMate? Because I can't think
> of any reason why Third Person's address should have been associated
> with Second Person's name.

It might be a bug or it might be the lack of a workaround for a wrongly
formatted header (such headers are very common and MailMate already has
a very large number of such workarounds).