[MlMt] PGP Usage & Untrusted Keys

David Ledger mailmate at ivdcs.co.uk
Tue Jan 3 09:45:19 EST 2017

On 3 Jan 2017, at 12:30, Robert M. Münch wrote:

> Hi, I'm using PGP and I get the following message when sending an
> encrypted email in a dialog with a "Trust Once" button:
>
> USERID_HINT E12C4810802DFEF0 Robert M. Münch
> <robert.muench at saphirion.com>
> NEED_PASSPHRASE E12C4810802DFEF0 7553390AF5349968 1 0
> GOOD_PASSPHRASE
> INV_RECP 10 <abc at xyz.com>
> FAILURE sign-encrypt 53
>
> Looks like this is a log output. I'm wondering about the "INV_RECP 10"
> which means that the key is not trusted. But I signed and trusted the
> key (locally), so it should be trusted.
>
> So, using "Trust Once" it seems the mail is send encrypted. But next
> time, the dialog comes back. I haven't seen any option to either
> "Trust this key" or a way to tell MM to send emails to untrusted keys
> as well.
>
> Anything I'm missing?
>
> --
>
> Robert M. Münch, CEO
> M: +41 79 65 11 49 6
>
> Saphirion AG
> smarter | better | faster
>
> http://www.saphirion.com
> http://www.nlpp.ch

If you signed and trusted the key yourself then that trust only applies
to you, no-one else can have that trust. The message may be reflecting
its ‘trustability’ by others.

It also gives a heads-up as to why opening a list message from you makes
MailMate become unresponsive for a full two minutes, eventually giving
the error:
	Unable to verify signature for OpenPGP message.
	No public key could be found for verifying the message signature.
with a ‘Show Details’ button. Clicking that gives
	NEWSIG
	ERRSIG E12C4810802DFEF0 1 10 01 1483446639 9
	NO_PUBKEY E12C4810802DFEF0
after another two minutes, for the message I’m replying to.

I’m using GPG rather than OpenPGP if that matters.
MailMate 1.9.6 (5319), OSX 10.11.6

David