[MlMt] Create replies from templates

catesandrew at gmail.com catesandrew at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 12:36:06 EST 2017

On 10 Feb 2017, at 3:27, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 3 Feb 2017, at 19:32, Martin Guddat wrote:
>
>> I am looking for a way to automate reponding to email without getting
>> to generic, so I want to give a proper greeting as well as matching
>> salutation. For this I would like to use something like templates.
>> For a given response I would have to select from a set of options
>> (salutation male/femame/unknown, formal or informal greeting etc) and
>> fill the template with data I get from the mail.
>>
>> I found some discussion on templates and mail merge as well as some
>> notes from Benny on "Commands"  19 Jan 2014, at 16:22) but nothing
>> conclusive. Is there more available on this topic or anyone minds to
>> share his workflow on things like this?
>
> It's actually a bit surprising how rarely I'm asked about some kind of
> template system, but it's certainly something I would like MailMate to
> be able to do.
>
> The only way to do it now is to use a custom bundle. This allows you
> to get any value from the replied email and use it in an automatically
> generated reply. (It's even possible to send the reply without editing
> the resulting message.)
>
> In your particular case, you could use AppleScript to ask for the
> options, but it's going to require some scripting skills. I can create
> an example bundle to setup the general framework for you, but I cannot
> offer you to do the AppleScript part.

I use TextExpander for my templates. Works across multiple applications
too. I’m migrating to Keyboard Maestro and ditching TextExpander at
the moment and will be able to achieve the same thing there.

In reference to custom bundles, I too do this as well. I use node’s
template system but you could use go’s or any others as well. I pipe
it back to stdout to finish. Not sure of any way a bundle can ask for
input from user which is why TextExpander is nice. It _might_ be
possible to have the bundle’s invoke some sort of gui to ask for the
input, but i’m not sure its possible.