[MlMt] Create replies from templates

Fri Feb 10 06:27:43 EST 2017

On 3 Feb 2017, at 19:32, Martin Guddat wrote:

> I am looking for a way to automate reponding to email without getting
> to generic, so I want to give a proper greeting as well as matching
> salutation. For this I would like to use something like templates. For
> a given response I would have to select from a set of options
> (salutation male/femame/unknown, formal or informal greeting etc) and
> fill the template with data I get from the mail.
>
> I found some discussion on templates and mail merge as well as some
> notes from Benny on "Commands"  19 Jan 2014, at 16:22) but nothing
> conclusive. Is there more available on this topic or anyone minds to
> share his workflow on things like this?

It's actually a bit surprising how rarely I'm asked about some kind of
template system, but it's certainly something I would like MailMate to
be able to do.

The only way to do it now is to use a custom bundle. This allows you to
get any value from the replied email and use it in an automatically
generated reply. (It's even possible to send the reply without editing
the resulting message.)

In your particular case, you could use AppleScript to ask for the
options, but it's going to require some scripting skills. I can create
an example bundle to setup the general framework for you, but I cannot
offer you to do the AppleScript part.