[MlMt] . Re: High Sierra, APFS, Time Machine, and MailMate.

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Fri Dec 15 00:01:30 EST 2017

On 14 Dec 2017, at 13:18 (-0500), Randall Meadows wrote:

> On 14 Dec 2017, at 10:44, Tracy Valleau wrote:
>
>> As an Apple Developer since 1978, I can say that I quit using TM
>> years ago. It is a consumer-level product, with modest capabilities
>> and horrible reliability.
>>
>> You asked for a solution. You need more robust backup software, which
>> offers a mimicking of TM.
>>
>> Two extremely reliable options are Carbon Copy Cloner and Chronosync.
>> Both can be configured to run automatically whenever you like.
>>
>> Chronosync is extremely versatile, and can out-do TM in its level of
>> granularity.
>
> Neither of which, though, do "versioned" backups like TM does, right?
> You only get the most recent "snapshot" of the drive, not any history
> of any items?

CCC can (and currently does by default, I believe) use a "Safety Net"
feature that moves changed files to dated subdirectories of "/_CCC
Archives/" before replacing them. It can also be configured to pre-clear
old archive directories to make space for new backups.

An advantage TM has is (usually) very fast determination of what needs
to be backed up via the FSEvents API, while CCC always takes about the
same long time to scan the whole disk and compare it to the last backup.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org
Currently Seeking Steady Work: https://linkedin.com/in/billcole