[MlMt] Fastmail and Runbox: trying to choose

Richard Rettke pc8xtebtkw at snkmail.com
Thu Apr 13 13:56:40 EDT 2017

On 13 Apr 2017, at 11:04, Eric A. Meyer eric at meyerweb.com  wrote:

> I've read the documentation for both Fastmail and Runbox, checked out
> some past articles and podcasts, and used MailMate to trawl through
> past posts about both companies here on the list.  Both seem like
> they'd be solid choices, but is there anything about what I've
> described that seems like a roadblock to one or the other?  Or that
> heavily favors one over the other?

I too narrowed my choices to Fastmail and Runbox. I chose Runbox almost
a year ago but have not had time to completely disassociate myself from
Gmail yet.

I chose Runbox at the time because when I tested Fastmail I ran into a
limitation on tags (they only allow 100). Apparently Thunderbird (which
I used prior to moving to Mailmate) uses tags to store all sorts of
info, at least thats the only explanation of why there are so many and
they all look like the folder names I had defined in Thunderbird. So for
that reason I chose Runbox. The importing of my email from gmail was
easy and pain free. My issue is I never found time to fully complete
what I was doing and currently am using both Runbox and Gmail. Adams
recent post about Fastmail supporting Push and others not has given me
pause, and in fact was going to test Runbox on that this weekend since I
never migrated my iOS emails to Runbox.

Sorry for the rambling, crazy busy here. Bottom line. I like Runbox,
BUT, I am going to reevaluate it vs. Fastmail and may decide to clean up
the blasted tags and go with Fastmail. Time and testing will tell. One
big plus for Runbox is it not US based (it's in Norway) which I see as a
plus, for no real good reason (I'm not paranoid, but that doesn't mean
someone isn't out out get me LOL)! So I will stay with Runbox if my iOS
email works well with them, but will leave if not. Also, I have
contacted their support several times for trivialities and they are
quite responsive and good.

--
__*Richard Rettke*__
*Laus Deo*