[MlMt] Fastmail and Runbox: trying to choose

Pedro Lobo pedro at plobo.net
Fri Apr 14 06:59:55 EDT 2017

Hey All,

I switched to Fastmail a few years ago and the switch was painless. It
was trivial to import my existing email using their tools. Here are my
thoughts on what both of you have mentioned so far:

- With regard to the limitations on tags, I can't really say since I
don't use all that many. For the few that I do use I haven't yet hit any
snags.
- Server side filtering used to be WAY more powerful, but I suppose they
realised that it was overly complex for the majority of users and
therefore simplified it. So, it doesn't seem like you'd be able to tag
incoming messages server side. You can however create rules to move
mails to specific folders or forward to an alias used for your bills
etc.
- Spam protection is top notch. I've disabled it for now since I was
doing some tests with SpamSieve but when it was active, I don't recall
ever receiving spam mail. I did have to whitelist one or two, but it
learnt real quick.
- Since I have a grandfathered account, there are some of the newer
features I can't test reliably, but from what you describe about your
setup, it shouldn't be hard to create the users you need as your needs
change;
- Push works incredibly well. When it was released, I did a few tests.
iPhone by my side and MailMate open. Changed or deleted an email in
Mailmate and the sync was almost immediate.
- CALdav and CARDdav are a plus, even if you just use them as a backup
of iCloud calendar and contacts ;)

Do let me know if you would like me to perform any further tests, I'd be
happy to help, and if you do decide to go with Fastmail and would like
to, you can use my [referral
link](https://www.fastmail.com/?STKI=12019021) to sign up. You'll get
10% discount on the first year.

Cheers,