[MlMt] Fastmail and Runbox: trying to choose

Eric A. Meyer eric at meyerweb.com
Thu Apr 13 12:04:08 EDT 2017

Hello all,

I'm set on moving my personal domain's email, which is managed by a
third party on an ad-hoc basis, to either Fastmail or Runbox.  I was
hoping the wisdom of this especially smart crowd could help me decide
which is better suited to my situation, or for that matter what I need
to think about that I'm not.

I have my primary email account, this one, and a few aliases that funnel
to it.  My wife and daughter also have their own accounts (one each),
and my son will need one soon.  I suspect my daughter will just have all
her mail forwarded to GMail, at least for the time being.  My wife and I
each use MailMate.

I do use IMAP tags on my mail.  Currently I have a total of 27.  I'm not
planning on adding more any time soon.

I don't mind at all writing server-side rules and filters to pre-screen
anything that gets through to the inbox.  I'd be very interested in
writing server-side actions to IMAP-tag mail the instant it arrives, so
that (for example) I could auto-tag credit card bill notifications,
payment confirmations, and suchlike.

Both my account and my wife's account get joe-jobbed on a semi-regular
basis-- a pitfall of having ancient, public addresses.  I'd love to have
a service that detected and suppressed the bounce floods that result,
without me having to write rules to do so.  (I can write those rules, in
fact have written them in the past, but I'd rather not have to do it
again.)

I don't plan to use a web-based mail interface since I already have
MailMate, but having a good one is a plus for those times I might need
one.

I don't intend to migrate calendars off of iCloud, at least at this
point, since that's working well enough for the family at this stage.  I
don't use cloud-based notes in general, so that's not a needed service
either.

For the future, I do have email on a completely separate domain, again
administered ad-hoc by the aforementioned third party.  I might want to
migrate it over as well.

I've read the documentation for both Fastmail and Runbox, checked out
some past articles and podcasts, and used MailMate to trawl through past
posts about both companies here on the list.  Both seem like they'd be
solid choices, but is there anything about what I've described that
seems like a roadblock to one or the other?  Or that heavily favors one
over the other?

--
Eric A. Meyer - http://meyerweb.com/