[MlMt] The amazing reappearing preview pane

Sat Sep 24 08:30:53 EDT 2016

On 24 Sep 2016, at 7:45, John Cooper wrote:

> I don't understand the styling settings even after reading the help,
> so I hope it doesn't have anything to do with those.

The plain text aspect of MailMate and the HTML generation is certainly
something that sets MailMate apart from other email clients. I'm aware
that there's a steep learning curve here, but as I think I wrote in the
manual, the default settings should work for most users.

> I use the recommended styling method and the "Generate HTML even if
> only for styling" box is checked.

The latter is not the default. It'll trigger all messages to have an
HTML alternative generated. This is the only way to ensure that the
configured theme is applied to all outgoing messages. Most users
shouldn't do that in my opinion. When possible, a simple plain text
message is what works best for most recipients. (An HTML signature would
also trigger this behavior.)

But there is a bug here. If the preview is collapsed by dragging the
separator then MailMate fails to remember it and it'll popup again. If
you use the toolbar icon to do it instead then it shouldn't happen. I've
noted the bug.