[MlMt] The amazing reappearing preview pane

John Cooper mailmate at coopercontent.com
Sat Sep 24 01:45:10 EDT 2016

Rob McBroom wrote (at 22:38 on 23 Sep 2016):

> On 24 Sep 2016, at 0:56, John Cooper wrote:
>
>> When I'm in a message composer window and I hide the preview pane, I
>> type a few characters, and the preview pane simply reappears. It
>> doesn't appear to be related to any particular key or key
>> combination. I don't suppose anybody else has seen this?
>
> By default, when you type a message, it’s just plain text and stays
> that way *unless* you type something that Markdown can turn into HTML.
> Then, the message becomes multi-part and the preview pane appears so
> you can see what the HTML part will look like.
>
> I don’t see anything obvious in your message that would trigger
> this, but the line at the bottom is obviously an HTML `<hr>` and not
> just a string of text, so maybe it’s something in your signature?

I don't use a signature, but you're probably on the right track.

> In any case, you might want to experiment with the options under
> Preferences → Composer → Preview: Display.

It's set to display the preview "when generating HTML." I don't know why
my message should have generated HTML unless *all* messages generate
HMTL when "Markdown" is selected at the top of the message composer
window. I'll change the preferences to never display the preview window
and that'll probably take care of it. I do want to be able to display
the preview manually, so I hope I can still do so when I use that
setting.

I don't understand the styling settings even after reading the help, so
I hope it doesn't have anything to do with those. I use the recommended
styling method and the "Generate HTML even if only for styling" box is
checked.