[MlMt] Invisible messages

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Thu Sep 22 15:23:21 EDT 2016

On 22 Sep 2016, at 4:28, Jean-Pierre Gattuso wrote:

> Yesterday, at home, I moved messages to an “archive” folder on my
> IMAP account. Today, at work, these messages are not displayed in the
> same “archive” folder by MailMate but are displayed on the web
> mail. How can I get these messages on my work version of Mailmate? I
> use Version 1.9.5 (5263) on OSX 10.11.6.

[Note: the names/labels of various commands and UI components used below
are the English ones. If you are using a French localization of MailMate
you will need to translate them, as your command of English is clearly
MUCH better than my trivial knowledge of French]

I'm not certain what the source of the problem is, but there are 3
things that I can think of that could cause this:

1. The "archive" folder is not synchronized on your work machine. You
can either find it in the folder hierarchy of the IMAP account in the
Sources section of the MailMate mailbox list and synchronize it
specifically (in the contextual menu or under the regular Mailbox menu)
or use the menu File->Synchronize->All Sources to synchronize
everything. If it fails to get synchronized regularly, the root cause
could be that it is be set to synchronize only manually, which you can
fix by selecting it and using the "Synchronization Schedule" submenu of
the Mailbox or contextual menu.

2. The "archive" folder is not understood by MailMate on your work
machine to be THE Archive folder (a single special-purpose folder) for
that account, and you are looking at the Archive->AccountName folder in
the Mailboxes section of MailMate's  mailbox list, which is some other
folder in that account. To tell MailMate that a specific IMAP folder
should be treated as one of the 5 special-purpose folders recognized by
MailMate, select the folder in the Sources section of the mailbox list
and use the Mailbox Type submenu of the contextual or Mailbox menu.

3. You are not subscribed to the "archive" folder on your work machine.
Select the account in the Sources section of the MailMate mailbox list
and use the "Edit IMAP Account" option from the contextual or Mailbox
menu to open the IMAP Account Settings window. In the center section of
that window there is an "Edit Subscriptions..." button that opens a
panel listing all of the folders in the IMAP account and their
subscription states, both in the server's subscription list and in
MailMate's own internal list that governs which folders you actually see
(and which get synchronized) in the Sources section of the MailMate
mailbox list. This seems to me to be an unlikely cause, since an
unsubscribed folder would not be missing messages, it would be be
entirely absent.