[MlMt] Updating account information made MailMate (re)download *all* email

Adam Liter io at adamliter.org
Wed Sep 14 18:25:39 EDT 2016

>> Now, it looks like this should be ok with FastMail, but then it seems
>> something else happened. The redownloading of emails indicate that
>> the `UIDVALIDITY` value changed of each mailbox. Each email is
>> uniquely identified using the `UIDVALIDITY` of the mailbox and the
>> `UID` of the message. If the `UIDVALIDITY` value of a mailbox changes
>> then MailMate MUST delete its local cache of emails and then fetch
>> the “new” messages of the mailbox. There is no way to tell
>> MailMate to ignore `UIDVALIDITY` changes.
>>
>> Hmm, MailMate should also warn you when the latter happens which
>> makes me think that this might be a MailMate bug after all. I have a
>> FastMail test account and I'll note to test what happens when I do as
>> you describe. Sorry about the inconvenience if this turns out to be a
>> bug.
>>

> I did not see any other warnings besides that first one.

For what it's worth (probably not much), this just happened to me with
iOS Mail. I updated to iOS 10 last night. So perhaps it is more of a
FastMail problem, rather than a MailMate problem? Note that I haven't
set up 2FA with FastMail, however. So I'm not really sure how
helpful/relevant this anecdote is.

-Adam