[MlMt] Tags/Keywords and Gmail Labels

Jim McCarty huckncatch at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 01:47:09 EDT 2016

On 12 Sep 2016, at 2:39, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 10 Sep 2016, at 22:42, Jim McCarty wrote:
>
>>> Debugging is easier if you can describe as simple steps as possible
>>> to reproduce an issue with a single message (if possible). Then I
>>> can try to reproduce it.
>>
>> The steps are pretty simple.
>> 1) select a message in a Gmail folder. I chose a folder with 22
>> messages, none of the messages have the Tag applied and can be seen
>> by creating a smart mailbox that looks for the Tag (it is empty)
>
> How exactly is this tag configured? (Display name and IMAP keyword.)

Display name and IMAP keyword are the same, in this case `disc`.

>> 2) add the Tag to the message -- the Tag should not have anything in
>> the Gmail Label column
>> 3) verify the message shows in the smart mailbox that shows messages
>> with the Tag
>> 4) add the Gmail Label to the Tag in Preferences
>
> What is the name of the Gmail label?

The Gmail label is also `disc`.

>> What I see after step 4 is the message no longer is shown in the
>> smart mailbox. What does show in there are 3 messages I sent
>> ([Gmail]/Sent Mail) to the mailing list the Gmail folder was for.
>> They now have the tag applied but not by me.
>>
>> Removing the Gmail Label from the Tag brings the original message
>> back plus the 3 messages that correspond to the 3 sent messages, they
>> now have the Tag applied, too. I now have 7 messages showing in the
>> smart mailbox.
>
> Ok, I can try to reproduce this if you answer the questions above.
>
> (The most important thing is that it works for you if you create the
> tag including the Gmail label before starting to tag messages.)

I haven't tried that, just did. After setting a Tag with all three
entries set to `disc`, I created a smart mailbox to see the messages for
that Tag. All I see are the three messages from my [Gmail]/Sent Mail
folder which were not in the `disc` folder, none of the other messages
are accessible, even when searching for specific subject words
(`disc-l`), all I get then are messages I sent ([Gmail/Sent Mail) to the
list that I didn't keep around in the `disc` folder.

Would be happy to try other scenarios to get this resolved.

Thanks, Jim