[MlMt] Tags/Keywords and Gmail Labels

Fri Sep 9 10:17:35 EDT 2016

On 9 Sep 2016, at 9:03, Jim McCarty wrote:

> While playing around with tags/keywords and Gmail labels, I found that
> applying a label to a group of messages in a folder (22 of them, there
> are 3 in sent messages that are not selected), then adding the Gmail
> Label to the tag preference entry, all of the emails disappear. I
> can't find them using tags or searching for the prefix applied to the
> subject of all the list emails. Removing the Gmail label from the tag
> entry allows them to be found again.
>
> If I do this over and over, I get a couple different results.
> Sometimes after applying the tag and then adding the Gmail label,

Setting the label server side?

> the smart mailbox I have set to look for the tag shows messages that
> are in the sent folder (the 3 messages) but none of the messages I
> selected and added the label to. When I remove the Gmail Label from
> the tag preference entry, the messages reappear but sometimes they no
> longer have the tag/keyword attached, sometimes they do.
>
> I did one run where I made sure only the 22 messages had the tag and
> the 3 sent messages did not but adding the Gmail label to the tag
> preference prevented access to the 22 messages and showed the 3 sent
> messages as having the tag applied (only the 22 messages showed in the
> smart mailbox prior).
>
> I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or there's some kind of bug
> in the app. I would appreciate if someone else could try these steps
> and see if they get similar results or can point out something I'm
> missing.

You have probably found some bug(s). I don't think changing Gmail label
mappings in the Tags preferences pane is 100% robust. It might some
times require relaunching MailMate before the changes are updated. Also,
it might take some time before changes done server side propagate to
MailMate. It's all a bit tricky to get to work properly, especially
because “[Gmail]/All Mail” is involved.

Debugging is easier if you can describe as simple steps as possible to
reproduce an issue with a single message (if possible). Then I can try
to reproduce it.