[MlMt] Tags/Keywords and Gmail Labels

Robert Brenstein rjb at uni-potsdam.de
Fri Sep 9 04:55:50 EDT 2016

On 09.09.2016 at 0:03 Uhr -0700 Jim McCarty apparently wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>While playing around with tags/keywords and Gmail labels, I found
>that applying a label to a group of messages in a folder (22 of
>them, there are 3 in sent messages that are not selected), then
>adding the Gmail Label to the tag preference entry, all of the
>emails disappear. I can't find them using tags or searching for the
>prefix applied to the subject of all the list emails. Removing the
>Gmail label from the tag entry allows them to be found again.

I am not sure whether the following will help you or not but I
encountered what I thought a weird behavior when experimenting with
tags while MailMate did was it was meant to do.

It was not clear to me before that Mailmate's tags are just visible
labels for IMAP keywords and tagging really means assigning those
keywords. In case of tags connected to standard IMAP keywords, like
\Seen, the tagging will appear to be done spontaneously by MailMate
itself.

Furthermore, changing the IMAP keyword connected to a given tag will
change the visible tags. Replacing standard IMAP keyword with a
custom one, for example, in the tag definition, makes those tags
disappear, while the actual keywords are not changed.

The bottom line is that tagging is a 2-layer construct which further
involves the actual IMAP server in the background.

Robert