[MlMt] Contacts, VIPs as Mailbox Conditions

Thu Sep 8 03:10:54 EDT 2016

On 7 Sep 2016, at 17:06, Jamie Phelps wrote:

> I want to set up a mailbox whose Conditions require that the from
> email address be found in my Contacts. Bonus points for being able to
> filter by VIPs. As an extension of this, being able to group
> submailboxes by the contact person (regardless of what email address
> or name is attached to the mail message itself) would be aces.

I didn't quite get the last part. Do you mean if the contact has
multiple email addresses then it should still be grouped in one mailbox
per Contact?

> In Mail.app, I have a few Smart Mailboxes set up that I use to triage
> my email. If I only have a moment, I check my VIP Inbox. If I have a
> little more time, I look at what's in my Contacts Inbox. (The Contacts
> Inbox is keyed to a Smart Group in Contacts whose only criterion is
> that the email address contains an @ symbol. MailMate could remove
> this step.) Then, I look for important domains like my work domain.
> Finally, I check a last bucket that has everything else. This last
> bucket gets processed a couple times per week only but my others get
> processed at least once per day.
>
> I know there have been other requests for Contacts and Groups related
> things, but to me, this is one of the simple ways that MailMate is
> still slightly deficient for how I triage my email and being able to
> set Contacts presence as a Condition for a mailbox would be fantastic.

When (hopefully) I get around to adding better integration with Contacts
then I'll keep the above in mind. I'll also note to contact you for
testing that the integration works for you.