[MlMt] Google login issues?

Richard Rettke pc8xtebtkw at snkmail.com
Sat Sep 3 17:12:24 EDT 2016

On 3 Sep 2016, at 5:24, Gary Hull YH82d7dfU at yandex.com  wrote:

> Glad to hear it. You can set up aliases for accounts on runbox, which
> might help you.
> The migration process is described somewhere on Benny's site, but as I
> remember you need to do something related to the Gmail tags (if you're
> using them), and make sure that all mail is in a particular Gmail
> mailbox (I think you have to move everything from the Inbox into that
> mailbox, if I remember correctly). Then you make an account in
> MailMate and sync. You've probably already done this part. Then at
> Runbox you make an account and make an account for that in MailMate.
> Finally in MailMate you select all emails in the Gmail account and
> drag them to the Runbox account. Then you wait, and depending on how
> many emails you have at Google it could be a couple of days. When it's
> all done, Google has help somewhere on how to liquidate and close you
> Gmail account.
> As for alternative to Runbox, when I investigated, there was only
> Fastmail (and Gmail) if you want to use your own domain, which is
> recommended, since you own it and can move it later,   and   you
> want a bus factor > 1. All those other places are single-programmer
> projects, and some of those guys are up there in years. Customers may
> be in for a surprise if the proprietor kicks the bucket. MailMate
> itself has a bus factor = 1, but hey, we love it. Runbox and Fastmail
> appear to have a bus factor = 3 or so. Gmail has a bus factor =
> 100,000, which is also its aggravation factor.

Thank for the info.

I'm still researching Runbox, one concern I haven't cleared yet is
Calendars. I have calendars associated with some of my gmail accounts
and I need to find out if Runbox sub accounts can each have their own
calendar. I presume they can but need to be certain. I have all my
various calendars feed into Busycal on the Mac & Fantastical on iOS, and
its a critical part of my workflow. I could leave the calendars where
they are but I really don't like the idea of having calendars and emails
on too many platforms and since the calendars are logically tied to the
email address I want to keep them together.

Thanks for the migration info, I do appreciate it.

Fastmail just will be too expensive at $50 a year per 'user' which I
interpret to be email address. Runbox is quite economical for all it
offers.

The aliases are a nice feature that I most likely won't use, nor will I
use my own domain name. Other than two specific gmail address's to two
specific companies, no one knows my real email address's. I have my
domains hosted at GoDaddy but not my email The Domains come with a
plethora of 'aliases'. So much my email has a sender that is actually an
alias with GoDaddy. I can change my actual email provider and then just
change where the GoDaddy aliases point and no one sees that I have
changed anything.

I also use a product called Sneakemail which essentially provides email
redirection like GoDaddy but with a unique email address. Like the one I
use exclusively for this forum). In fact every vendor I deal with,
personal or business gets a unique Sneakemail address from me. so they
are the only company or person with that address. If I start getting
spam on that address I know either their address book has been
compromised or sold. Either way I generate a new address for them,
update it with them, and then delete the address being spammed or
sometimes I just set it to bounce if I want to maintain an audit trail.
As of today I have 1402 unique email address's via Sneakemail, which
sound horrendous but Sneakemail provides what, IMHO is an excellent
minimalist interface and database to manage these address's. Even my
non-technical wife is able to use it with no issues.

So I almost never see any spam and when I do I am able to deal with it
in a couple minutes.

__*Richard Rettke*__
*Laus Deo*
*Non sibi sed patriae*