[MlMt] Google login issues?

Gary Hull YH82d7dfU at yandex.com
Sat Sep 3 06:24:34 EDT 2016

On 3 Sep 2016, at 2:11, Richard Rettke wrote:

> On 2 Sep 2016, at 2:08, Gary Hull YH82d7dfU at yandex.com  wrote:
>
>> I moved all of my accounts from Google to Runbox and (if hosted
>> there) Pair. For throwaway free accounts I made new ones at AOL and
>> Yandex. Life is so much simpler now.
>
> Thanks for the info Gary, Runbox looks promising. If it meets my needs
> I don't mind paying for it. I'm going to give the free trial a go.

Glad to hear it. You can set up aliases for accounts on runbox, which
might help you.

The migration process is described somewhere on Benny's site, but as I
remember you need to do something related to the Gmail tags (if you're
using them), and make sure that all mail is in a particular Gmail
mailbox (I think you have to move everything from the Inbox into that
mailbox, if I remember correctly). Then you make an account in MailMate
and sync. You've probably already done this part. Then at Runbox you
make an account and make an account for that in MailMate. Finally in
MailMate you select all emails in the Gmail account and drag them to the
Runbox account. Then you wait, and depending on how many emails you have
at Google it could be a couple of days. When it's all done, Google has
help somewhere on how to liquidate and close you Gmail account.

As for alternative to Runbox, when I investigated, there was only
Fastmail (and Gmail) if you want to use your own domain, which is
recommended, since you own it and can move it later, _and_ you want a
bus factor > 1. All those other places are single-programmer projects,
and some of those guys are up there in years. Customers may be in for a
surprise if the proprietor kicks the bucket. MailMate itself has a bus
factor = 1, but hey, we love it. Runbox and Fastmail appear to have a
bus factor = 3 or so. Gmail has a bus factor = 100,000, which is also
its aggravation factor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_factor

The reason I chose Runbox over Fastmail is that I liked the
documentation at Runbox better, and my single interaction with pre-sales
support at Runbox brought an instant reply, and no reply from Fastmail.
Probably a one-time glitch, but Runbox support since joining has been
very good. Another factor is that Fastmail seems to be flirting with
Gmail-style "improvements" to IMAP, if I understand their press
announcements correctly. When you have a supported standard, no matter
how much "better" an alternative version is, it's going to end up as
nothing but headaches.