[MlMt] mailmate memory usage and such...

Thu Oct 27 05:35:21 EDT 2016

On 26 Oct 2016, at 22:12, Seebs wrote:

> I have an 8GB machine (2015 13" MBP) which has taken to getting oddly
> slow lately, as though overloaded by something. Poking around, I did
> notice that a lot of apps have fairly large memory footprints, and a
> lot of "compressed" memory. And one of the larger apps is Mailmate,
> now at ~500MB. (Firefox is larger once it's been up a while, but not
> much else gets that large.)

I have an open issue with MailMate using an increasing amount of memory
over time (more than expected), but even putting that aside MailMate is
still pretty memory hungry.

> According to mailmate, I have a little under 200k messages. Is that
> Too Many for mailmate?

It's not too many and some users have much more, but almost all parts of
MailMate benefit from a smaller message store.

> Should I be exporting some of them in some other format to reduce
> lag/load? I don't know that much about what my options are. I'd be
> fine with archiving some stuff fairly permanently, but I do like
> having my entire history available for some stuff. (For instance, if I
> want to complain about spam, it's *useful* to have a complete archive
> of spam from that source available.)

I often get questions about local storage of emails (mostly because
MailMate does not support local mailboxes). Recently, my preferred
answer is to simply drag emails out of MailMate to store them as
individual `.eml` files in disk folders. This stores emails in its
standard format and since MailMate includes a Spotlight importer then
these emails are still searchable using Spotlight (note the settings in
the General preferences pane). If double-clicked then such an email is
also temporarily parsed in MailMate in order to show a single message
window with the usual options to reply/forward etc.

It's also possible to somewhat automate this by using the “Export to
Folder” action for rules, e.g., one could create an “export” IMAP
mailbox which both saves a message on disk and moves it to “Deleted
Messages”. This mailbox could then be used as a drag target, with
⌘T, or to create a custom key binding.