[MlMt] Behavior upon deleting an open message

Mon Oct 24 08:39:53 EDT 2016

On 8 Oct 2016, at 14:55, John D. Muccigrosso wrote:

> I wrote in another thread:
>
>> 2. If I delete that message while it’s open, no message is left
>> selected. I’d rather the next message in the thread get selected.
>> I’m a keyboard guy, and while this isn’t a big deal if the
>> message I want is the last one in the inbox (just hit the up arrow),
>> it’s a pain if it’s not and I have to hit the arrow multiple
>> times or use the mouse.
>
> Someone else suggested that the next message be selected and opened,
> which I would not prefer, but having no message be selected after
> deleting an open one is not good, IMO.

This thread went in various directions. The current behavior is not
really intentional, but yet another proof that I'm not using the single
message window much myself.

This is also kind of related to the behavior of MailMate in the single
message window when archiving/moving messages. This is actually
configurable:

	defaults write com.freron.MailMate MmMessageWindowActionAfterMove
-string "closeWindow"

The single message window does allow one to navigate to the
previous/next message using ⌘↓ / ⌘↑. This is similar to what
some of you want to happen when moving a message in the single message
window. (This always happens when deleting messages, but maybe that
should also depend on the setting above unless the message is deleted
permanently.)

Whether or not this setting is enabled I do think that MailMate should
select the “next” message just as if the action had been done in the
mailbox window. Disabling such behavior is already a separate setting:

	defaults write com.freron.MailMate MmMessagesOutlineMoveStrategy
-string "none"

This also takes effect in the mailbox window which is probably what
users of this setting would expect.

In other words, I'd like the default behavior to be that the single
message window is closed on all types of move actions and that MailMate
always moves to the “next” message in the message list. It is then
optional to keep the window open (when possible, that is, more messages
in the mailbox exists). Moving to the “next” message can then be
disabled for users preferring to always explicitly select messages.

(I'm not really interested in discussing default behavior, but it's fine
to point out if the above does not allow you to configure your
personally desired behavior.)